Tuesday, August 19, 2014

No Whiteboards? No Problem!


Do you like those mini-whiteboards? I love them. They are great for class competitions and checks for understanding. Unfortunately, the price for those whiteboards is beyond my budget. Since I have larger classes this year, it is imperative to include a system that helps me look at student work without using a lot of paper or notecards. Therefore, I decided to make my own “whiteboards” this year.
For my whiteboards, I used plastic sheet protectors, decorative papers, and blue painters’ tape. I inserted the sheets inside of the sheet protectors and then taped them to my student desks with the painters’ tape. I like the painters’ tape because it doesn’t leave a sticky residue on the desks. Total cost to adhere whiteboards to my desks: less than $10.00. That is a considerable savings over traditional whiteboards.

It’s best to use black markers with these types of whiteboards. Reds and oranges will stain the plastic. In order to maintain the whiteboards as long as possible, use a mild cleaner on them at least once per week. Of course, changing them is simple!
By the way, I’m giving away some freebies on my TPT store this week. Today’s freebie is a place value chart. Students can represent numbers from the 10 millions to the millionths.
 
Stay tuned…
 
 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREEBIE-Place-Value-Chart-1401643
 

No comments: