Monday, August 11, 2014

Creating Effective Student Incentive Plans


It started with the prize box. When students earned good grades or had a wondrous math achievement, I would allow them to choose a prize from the box. After some time, the little odd toys didn’t appeal to them. Once the number of students expanded to more than 100, I couldn’t afford to keep replenishing the box. Next, I chose coupons. A little “homework pass” here and there. You know it’s bad when students lose interest or are not motivated by the prospect of getting some time off from the nightly homework grind. Plus, I gave them out haphazardly. Students didn’t know when they could earn them. Despite these setbacks, I am a firm believer that incentives are important. Students want to receive recognition for their work (that philosophy also applies to adults). When I reflected on my incentives, I discovered that I had to make some changes to make them more effective for student motivation.

Planning for the short and sweet

The first thing I did when revamping my incentives was to make a planner. I needed to have set dates for incentives. I made a list of all the incentives I wanted to offer and if there was a cost associated with acquiring the incentives. I also reviewed the incentives students liked the most. I noticed that students seemed to “get numb” to incentives after 6-8 weeks, so I decided to change what I offered each grading period. I came up with themes and designed posters so students would know what they could get and what they needed to do in order to receive an incentive. I also felt it was important that each student and each class had an opportunity to earn something. So, for example, during the first grading period, students had the chance to “grab a hand.” Oriental Trading offers sticky hands for a decent price, and kids loved using them to grab their papers. To earn a sticky hand, students had to successfully answer a 100 multiplication problems within a certain time period (yes, I have students entering my middle school classroom who do not know how to multiply, but that is a topic worthy of an entirely different post). I created a “hand” bulletin board so once students earned their hands, I would add their name to the board. It was short and sweet, but effective.

So the majority of the incentives I choose have (1) a well-defined goal communicated to students, (2) last a short time to maintain momentum, and (3) give every student and opportunity to obtain an incentive.

Last year’s short term incentives included: sticky hands, the proverbial homework pass, listen in class music pass, sit where you want pass, scratch-offs (Oriental Trading), little Earths, and bendable people. Classes could earn outside learning days or math play days.

Rewarding effort on a consistent basis

Certificates never get old. There’s nothing like being able to go home and show parents or guardians a certificate. That’s why I continue to give them out each grading period and at the end of the year. Of course, I recognize good grades, but I also give certificates for showing improvement and for attending tutoring sessions. I change the design of the certificates each grading period. There are several great websites for creating free certificates, but I will purchase some colorful ones from my local dollar store when they are available. In addition to certificates, I also recognize students “publicly” with a hallway or classroom bulletin board.

If you’re planning your lessons in preparation for the new school year, consider planning an incentive system for your students. Based on what I’ve experienced in my own classroom, incentives increase motivation and enhance the learning environment. Incentives don’t have to be expensive! Remember, showing and telling students they are doing a good job goes a long way.

No comments: