Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Classroom Hack: Student-made Rational Number Cubes


If you're like me, you love using number cubes and dice in the classroom. They are versatile tools perfect for a variety of math games and enrichment. There are times when I find the number cubes limiting because the cubes that include fractions and decimals are basic. They include unit fractions and decimals to the tenths place. I've been searching everywhere for cubes with different types of rational numbers. My search ended with a trip to my favorite dollar store!

There, I found packages of blank foam counting blocks. Each package contains 50 blocks. The price - $1.00. I grabbed a couple of packages for my classes and rejoiced in the knowledge that I would soon have the best number cubes ever!




First, I separated the number cubes and placed sets of them in small cups. The cubes come in colors of red, blue, green, and orange.



Although students normally carry Sharpies, I also placed them on the desks for each group. I gave the students simple instructions:

(1) Make a list of 6 rational numbers in your spirals. The rational numbers must include at least two negative numbers, 1 integer, 1 decimal, 1 fraction, and 1 percent.

(2) Review your numbers with your group members to make sure none of you have the same rational numbers. Make modifications if necessary.

(3) Select one number cube and one Sharpie (fine point). Write your numbers on the six sides of the number cube.



Within two days, I had 150 number cubes with a wide variety of rational numbers. Not only did my students practice the important skill of generating rational numbers, but there was also 100% engagement! So, how do we use the number cubes?
  • Comparing rational numbers: roll two cubes and compare
  • Ordering rational numbers: roll four cubes and order the numbers from least to greatest or greatest to least
  • Rational number operations
  • Graphing rational numbers on number lines
You can't go wrong with this classroom hack. And, you can't beat 50 number cubes for $1.00 (*okay, full disclosure. I purchased 4 packages and spent $4.00...plus tax ;-).

No comments: