Sunday, August 17, 2014

Mission Organization: The Messy Bookshelf


When I returned to my classroom last week, one of the first tasks I tackled was my messy bookshelf. It had become a storage area for many of the materials we use during math rotations, but it was disorganized. During the summer, I spent some time on Pinterest and my local dollar store. I am convinced that the best way to stay organized this year is by keeping materials separate with color-coded labels and containers. My budget: $20 or less.

After removing all of the stuff from the bookshelf, I organized the materials I use most, such as dice, tape measurers, integer chips, and geometric shapes into the bins and baskets I purchased from the dollar store. I used 2 rolls of wrapping paper ($1.00 per roll) to cover the back of the bookshelf. I reshuffled the shelving units to create a smaller space for my smaller containers. I did decide to recycle some items and to throw some of the older, unusable things in the trash. Just over two hours later, I had a brand new, organized bookshelf. It is more student-oriented with fun colors! I think the kiddos will enjoy it. I feel much better about the space and I am determined to keep it neat during the school year.

The new school year is on the horizon (and some teachers and students have already returned to school)! On Monday through Friday of this week, I’ll be sharing some of my other tips and tricks for room organization and a thing or two about assignments and interactive notebooks. I’ll also be offering some free materials on my TPT store. I’m calling this week “Five Days of Freebies.”

Stay tuned…

No comments: