Sunday, March 23, 2014

Hooked on Hulas - Using Hula Hoops to Teach GCF and LCM

GCF and LCM are two of the more challenging topics we cover in math. Now that it's time for reviewing concepts for the upcoming standardized tests, I've decided to dust off one of my more popular math-tivities - Hooked on Hulas. I originally purchased a set of 6 hula hoops from the dollar store for a lesson on measuring circumference. While prepping the circumference lesson, I thought about other ways I could use the hula hoops. "Hey," I thought. "If I overlap these hula hoops, I'll have a Venn Diagram."

Using the hula hoops for a math-tivity on GCF and LCM is fairly simple. Add some note cards (I laminate note cards for repeated use), markers, dry erase boards and numbers, and you're ready to go!

Prepare pairs of numbers for students. Before beginning the activity, review factors, multiples, and prime factorization. Then, show students how to find the GCF and LCM using the hula hoop Venn Diagram.

After my first success with this activity, I borrowed more hula hoops so students could work in pairs. As an added bonus, I told students that they would be able to have a hula hoop contest at the end of class if they successfully completed their GCF and LCM assignment. Kids were happy. The lesson was a blast. They left the class telling others that "Math was fun!" It really paid off in their assessment on the topics. The activity has resulted in higher scores and retention of information.



Grab some hula hoops and have some math fun. Who knows, you and your students just may get hooked too!!!



No comments: