Monday, January 19, 2015

Is it Possible to Re-invent Homework?

Okay. I'll admit it. There are times I just want to give up. Not my teaching position, of course, but on homework! Let's face it, many kids just don't like homework. I've often found some of my students trying to complete it before the bell rings. Don't get me started on incomplete or messy homework. I've tried to find ways to make it more meaningful, but I still have a percentage of students who can't seem to get it done.

For 2015, I've made it a mission to "re-invent" homework. I want as many students as possible to complete their work. I've heard the arguments for and against homework, but I believe work outside of the classroom is important to developing study skills needed for college.

So, how am I re-inventing homework? I'm doing it in "three-two-one." I challenged my students to complete six problems a day, four days a week. I'm distributing one page of homework (front and back) a week. Students complete the assignments and parents (or other adults) sign them before students submit them for grading. All of the concepts covered on the homework pages are review. For example, the first week of "Three-Two-One" focuses on basic calculations and rational numbers (the first concept covered this school year). I think students are less likely to get stuck when reviewing concepts as opposed to completing problems on new concepts.

I've also decided to place more emphasis on flipping the classroom. Sometimes students fall behind when taking notes in the classroom. Flipping can help with that issue. It will also give me an opportunity to focus on problem-solving during class.

I don't know if my "re-invention" will work, but I'm hopeful. I told students will keep the new format until Spring Break. I'll keep everyone updated on the results.

No comments: